Monday, January 21, 2013

RAGBRAI

As this blog is titled "Adult on a Bicycle", it seems fitting to have a post dedicated to the week I spent riding RAGBRAI  this past summer. RAGBRAI stand for "Register's Annual Great Bicycle Race Across Iowa" (Register is the Des Moines Newspaper).  The ride happens annually durning the last week of July.


RAGBRAI started in Sioux Center and took us across Iowa all the way to Clinton on the Mississippi River.  It was an incredibly hot ride with temps going into the triple digits at a couple of points along the way.  I've never been sunburned after using so much sunscreen in all my life.

I was fortunate to be able to cross this off my bucket list and to do it was one good friend, as well as make some new ones along the way!  Our team, Chicycle, was composted of four members: Libby, Jane, Leah, and myself. Leah was kind enough to drive our sag wagon for the entire week, which I have to imagine was a little boring at times.  We put in a lot of miles each day, ranging from the upper 50's to the 80's.  I must admit that we took a day off in the middle, staying with my brother David.  We really debated it, but in the end it was the right call as our bodies and spirits were rejuvenated.  All of us ended the week tired, but I for one felt incredibly accomplished.


Our first day in Sioux Center


Second-morning maintenance


Taking a break


Counting Crows Concert


Taking a break from the heat


Break to pee in the corn


At the Mississippi!

No comments:

Post a Comment