Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday, July 18, 2009 - The Man at the Top of the Stairs

One things that I was hoping to do this summer which has not been accomplished is to run a lot. I only seem to get out a couple times a week, and I was hoping for so much more. However, one thing I am taking advantage of is the hills. Hill running is something I have not done much off, and you are almost forced to by living in West Seattle. There is a route I enjoy where I run just over half a mile of flats, then hit two consecutive hills, and then a massive staircase with 140 steps to it. I can't run it all straight, because I would have a heart attack, but I like to run different combinations numerous times to get up this incline.

This morning, I was out running this route, and as I was nearing the top of the staircase I looked up and saw a man sitting at the top of the stairs. My intention was to get near the top of the stairs, wave hello, and then head back down to continue with what I was doing. Once at the top he made eye contact with me, and I removed an earbud to my iPod and said good morning. He greeted me as well and just started to talk. I will admit that at first I was a bit annoyed to be interrupted with what I was doing, but I stopped and the conversation started.

He told me that he was supposed to be getting married soon and was sitting there with serious second thoughts about it. She was 45 and he was 55. He did not get along with her kids at all. He had been in the military for a long time and said it sort of messed him up. He was messy, and she was a neat-freak...but boy did he love her. He loved her so much that he admitted to me that the night before he went to the house of one of her old boyfriends and "took care of him" (he told me this meant beat him up, but my initial reaction was to wonder what was in his backpack and will I be thankful that I am wearing my running shoes). He loved her so much that he gave her money all the time, and made her car payments for her, as he had no license because of his alcoholism. But he just didn't know if he could marry her.

I really didn't know what to say, and I'm not sure he was looking for advice. He just wanted to tell his story and have someone listen. He did tell me he was excited to be checking into the VA on Tuesday to get sober "once and for all". This was something I congratulated him on and encouraged. He, in turn, encouraged me to make sure I went to school and to never start drinking. We must have talked for over 15 minutes. As I left, I wished him luck and shook his hand. He said the same to me. As I passed behind him, I saw an open Budweiser behind him.

I really do wish Albert luck..

No comments:

Post a Comment