Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - Labor Day Weekend

The major news since my last post is that I quit my job! After weeks of poor communication and much fewer working hours than I was promised, enough was enough. Last Wednesday I was three days into the week and sitting on 6.5 hours. My boss said that he would keep me up to date on if I would be working or not that day, and never called me (which was a regular thing from this guy). Several people I talked with that day told me that I should quit and just enjoy my last couple of weeks in Seattle. While out running that evening, I realized just how much hating what I was doing was consuming my thoughts. After returning home, I called a guy I had done some work for here several weeks ago and he said he could use me over the next couple of weeks. That settled it: I called my boss and quit. It felt great!

The weather here is definitely marching toward fall as is apparent from all of the rain which we have been having. This past weekend, my good friend Megan came up from Portland to a few days with us. Friday night was "fry-night". All of Dave's brothers, his sister, along with Megan and I, got together at Dave's sister's house to deep fat fry anything we had ever dreamed of eating that way. Here's a list of what we ate:

Spam
Turkey gizzards
Mushrooms
Green Tomatoes
Cheese
Twix candy bar
Twinkie
Ho-Ho
Dill pickles
Strawberry Pop-Tart
Onion
Mac&Cheese
Sweet Potato
Hot Dogs wrapped in Crescent rolls
Plantains

Some tasted much better than others, and the beer batter held together more than the other two we were working with. Quantity-wise, we didn't consume all that much food. But we all shaved a year or two off our lives with how much oil we put in our bodies. I don't' think anyone left feeling good that night. Our next fry-night will be in twenty years.

Saturday afternoon we headed out to Snohomish, where are friend Laura lives. We ended up staying until Monday afternoon. The plan was to have a game weekend. We played ladder golf, frisbee golf (both on the Nintendo Wii and outdoors) as well as the longest game of Phase 10 I ever hope to experience. For our ego's sake we made ribbons to give to the winners. However, we ended up making about 50 of them, so we just started giving out awards for random things which people did, like being courteous to each other or looking good on that day. Sunday night we went to the fair. I had not been to one of those in a really long time. If you are looking to save money during this recession, I would not take your family to the fair. Better to send your kids to college than to spend all that money at the fair for one night.

Tonight our friend Jamie comes in from Los Angeles and will be here until Wednesday morning. I'll be leaving Seattle on Monday, Sept. 21st to go out to Colorado for a couple of weeks before heading home to prepare for Egypt. This weekend will be my last hoorah of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment