Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 21 Years Old!






So, my family here is pretty much wondeful! I have to tell you about how my 21st birthday was here in Namibia. First, since it was Sunday, we went to church in the morning. Of course, it was in Afrikaans, so I didn't get a whole lot out of the two hours we were in church, but the people were very welcoming. And there were certain phrases that I knew what they meant. For instance, out of the whole message, the only English spoken was, "Lets put Christ back in Christmas". I must admit that being February, this seemed a bit strange to hear out of context. Oh, I also saw a girl throw up right beside my row, which is something I have never experienced before at First Lutheran.

After this, we went back to my host families house and had the biggest BBQ (food wise) that I have ever had. See, I was told on the first day I met the Lawrence family that I could invite 5 people to this party. That means there was 15 of us total, including some extended Lawrence family members. However, I'm pretty sure that there was enough food for 45 people there. I'm not even joking about this. First off, you must remember that my host dad is a butcher, so the amount of meat that we had was incredible. T-bone, chicken, sausage... On top of that, we had lambs neck before the meal. There was also about 7 different salads from the super market, chips, ice cream, and cake. And I have to tell you abou this cake. Really, it was two cakes. One in the shape of a "2" and one in the shape of a "1". They were decorated with red, white, and blue colors, and had USA written across them. This cake was even frosted on the bottom! In all my life I have never had a cake that was frosted on the bottom. Anyway, we ate until we couldn't eat anymore. And then I finished it off with some Pepto Bismal...along with another piece of cake to wash it down.

To change the subject, I have to vent a bit. One thing that I am finding about going abroad is that many people who get to know you want something in the end. Because of the way that American pop-culture is broadcast over here, the average person has no idea what real life in the United States is like. Everyone thinks that I know Brad Pitt and can call up Eminem whenever I want to go to a movie with me. People also think that you have connections all over the place, and can get them scholarships, meetings with political people who will listen to them about aspirations they have and so on. Many people also asume that everyone has tons of money and will want to fund projects that they want to accomplish. Not that they are not worthy projects, but no one in the house has these connections outsiders think that we do. It is becoming frustrating to me, especially when you get to know someone well and you can't help them, but also the idea that maybe they are just getting to know you so that you will change their lives. It is also frustrating when you tell people what things are really like and they don't believe you. I know someone who has very large aspirations here, and desperatly wants my help to set up meetings with political people for him. He just doesn't understand when I tell him how difficult something like that is to do. Part of it is, meeting with political leaders here is not very difficult due to the small population, and they think that this is how it works in the United States. Seconldy, and this is horrible to say, but most political leaders in the United States wouldn't care what the average African man had to say anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment