Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday, October 08, 2009 - Colorado!




It's great to be back in Colorado!

I arrived in Glenwood Springs last Thursday after a wonderful stay with my good friend Erin and her husband Nate in Eugene, OR. Let me tell you, if you like to sample free wine, then Eugene is the place for you! There are tons of wineries in the area, all with some delicious selections.

The drive from Eugene to Glenwood took a couple of days. I spent 14 hours in the car on the first, plowing through all of Oregon and Idaho and coming within about 30 minutes of Salt Lake City. My hope had been to camp that night to save a bit of money, but I found that the only state in the area I didn't have a map of was Idaho. Not knowing how far off the interstate I would have to drive to come upon any of the advertised state parks, I decided to just keep driving into the night. Besides, I wasn't that tired to start with when the sun started to set.

After consuming a rather disappointing breakfast the next morning courtesy Super 8, I hit on the road. There were several things I wanted to see in Utah. Golden Spike National Monument was high on that list. Golden Spike is where the railroad came together back in the mid 1800's. Unfortunately, I had made enough headway the night before that it would take 50 miles of backtracking to get there. There was another major attraction which was much more accessible though. When Dave and I came through in June, we didn't catch a glimpse of the Great Salt Lake. Using the wireless in the motel, I knew that there was an island in the middle of the lake which was designated state park. Antelope Islands was only a 15 minutes drive from where I was staying in Ogden, so the choice to go was easy. The view was spectacular from the point I hiked to and I'd love to go back and take my bike for a spin around the island.

By 7:00 that night I made Glenwood. This is the sort of town I could really see myself living in! We have the great outdoors at our fingertips, and I have been taking full advantage of it. My bike has gotten more use in the past week than it did for all of my time in Seattle. We've been hiking several times so far, and even went rock climbing with Katie's uncle and cousin this past Sunday. Katie is an ELL teacher, and I have been going to school to volunteer with her the past few mornings, which I also enjoy doing. In one week I'll be heading out to the front range for a few days before making my way back to South Dakota. Who knows what all we will cram in over the next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment